Exercise Questionsncert Solutions for Class 6 Science Chapter 9
1. What is a habitat?
The place where organisms live is called habitat. Habitat means a dwelling place (a home). The habitat provides food, water, air, shelter and other needs to organisms.
2. How are cactus adapted to survive in a desert?
Adaptation of cactus are as follows
- Leaf is replaced by spine to reduce transpiration
- Stems carry out photosynthesis
- A thick waxy layer surrounds leaf to retain water
- Roots of cactus are deeply rooted inside soil to absorb water
3. Fill up the blanks
(a) The presence of specific features, which enable a plant or an animal to live in a particular habitat, is called ————.
(b) The habitats of the plants and animals that live on land are called ———— habitat.
(c) The habitats of plants and animals that live in water are called ————habitat.
(d) Soil, water and air are the ———— factors of a habitat.
(e) Changes in our surroundings that make us respond to them, are called ———— .
(a) The presence of specific features, which enable a plant or an animal to live in a particular habitat, is called adaptation.
(b) The habitats of the plants and animals that live on land are called terrestrial habitat.
(c) The habitats of plants and animals that live in water are called aquatic habitat.
(d) Soil, water and air are the abiotic factors of a habitat.
(e) Changes in our surroundings that make us respond to them, are called stimuli.
4. Which of the things in the following list are nonliving?
Plough, Mushroom, Sewing machine, Radio, Boat, Water hyacinth, Earthworm
Plough, Sewing machine, Radio and Boat are nonliving things
5. Give an example of a non-living thing, which shows any two characteristics of living things.
- It can move like living beings
- It needs energy to do work
6. Which of the non-living things listed below, were once part of a living thing?
Butter, Leather, Soil, Wool, Electric bulb, Cooking oil, Salt, Apple, Rubber
Butter, Leather, Wool, Cooking oil, Apple and Rubber were once part of a living thing.
7. List the common characteristics of the living things.
Common characteristics of living things are as follows
ii) Food intake
iii) Respond to stimuli
vii) Grow and Die
8. Explain, why speed is important for survival in the grasslands for animals that live there. (Hint: There are few trees or places for animals to hide in grasslands habitats.)
Speed is important for survival in the grasslands for animals to avoid predation from their predators. For example Tiger eats deer, to survive deer has to run faster than the tiger.
Important topics covered in ncert Solutions for Class 6 Science Chapter 9 The Living Organisms Characteristics and Habitats
- Organisms and the surroundings where they live
- Habitat and adaptation
- A journey through different habitats
- Some aquatic habitats
- Characteristics of organisms
- Living organisms and excretion
1 thought on “Rbse Solutions for Class 6 Science Chapter 9 The Living Organisms Characteristics and Habitats”
Pingback: Rbse Solutions for Class 6 Science Updated for 2021-22 Free PDF - Rbse solutions